by Nils Osmar. January 1, 2022
Short version – I take the following supplements for bone, brain, joint and skin health:
- PS (Phosphatidylserine) – Jarrow – 100 mg
- Hyaluronic Acid – DoNotAge: 2 or 3 capsules
- Biotin – Life Extension – 1 capsule
- Pantethine – Jarrow – 400 mg.
- Magnesium threonate – Jarrow – 1 gram
- Taurine – Jarrow – 1 gram
- Low dose lithium – Weyland – 0.5 mg
- Lecithin – Lekithos – I take an organic liquid supplement, one teaspoon.
Our brains are essential to life and consciousness. They lose neurons as the years go by, leading to memory impairment and a decline in cognitive abilities.
There is evidence that we can prevent brain shrinking and improve brain health and neurogenesis by eating right, fasting, and taking hyaluronic acid and other supplements.
More About the Supplements
- PS (Phosphatidylserine) – Jarrow – PS is good for brain health, mood and memory (I also eat lots of Atlantic mackerel, low-mercury tuna, and great northern beans, which are very high in PS) I take the liquid sunflower seed oil softgels, not the soy-based PS. Article: Phosphatidylserine
- Hyaluronic Acid – DoNotAge: HA prevents brain shrinkage as we age. Also good for smoother skin and fewer wrinkles. I have noticed two effects since taking this product. The first was smoother, more elastic skin. Some surface wrinkles have smoothed out, presumably because of the hydrating effect. The other effect, which totally surprised me, was how rapidly two recent injuries healed. Related study: Hyaluronic acid particle hydrogels decrease cerebral atrophy and promote pro-reparative astrocyte/axonal infiltration in the core after ischemic stroke
- Biotin – Jarrow. Biotin is good for skin, joint and bone health. I often take it along with hyaluronic acid. Company: Life Extension. One capsule. Article: Biotin
- Pantethine – Jarrow – a derivative of pantothenic acid. Lowers triglycerides. Raises HDL. Great for immunity. I like taking it with a teaspoon of royal jelly, a natural source of pantethine. I also eat a teaspoon of royal jelly on my feasting days. Article: Pantothenic acid
- Magnesium threonate – for brain health. The only form of magnesium that crosses the blood-brain barrier. Has been shown to greatly slow brain aging. Study: Magnesium transport across the blood-brain barriers
- Taurine – for brain health. Grow New Brain Cells – Life Extension
- Low dose lithium – Has been shown to have numerous benefits for brain health and in slowing brain aging. Article: Low Dose Lithium for Brain Health
- EGCG – I don’t take a supplement, I drink white tea instead.
- Lecithin – A good source of phospholipids, good for brain health. I take an organic liquid supplement, one teaspoon.