by Nils Osmar. March 24, 2022
Estrogen is present in both sexes, but in larger quantity in women. It’s an essential hormone, along with testosterone and pregnenolone, which also play important roles in women’s health.
Women’s sex hormone levels drop after menopause, triggering problems such as fatigue and sleep issues, mood swings and depression, headaches, and urinary tract infections.
Benefits of higher estrogen include improved sleep; better retention of collagen; better skin thickness and elasticity; reduced risks of cataracts; reduced risk of osteoporosis; reduced risk of bones breaking; decreased tooth loss, lowered risk of colon cancer, improvement in mood and overall sense of mental well-being compared to women with lower estrogen.
Testosterone and pregnenolone also play important roles in women’s health. Women’s sex hormone levels drop after menopause, triggering problems such as fatigue and sleep issues, mood swings and depression, headaches, and urinary tract infections. Women can restore sex hormones to youthful levels by taking supplements or by using hormone replacement therapy.
- improved sleep
- better retention of collagen
- better skin thickness and elasticity
- reduced risks of cataracts; reduced risk of osteoporosis
- reduced risk of bones breaking
- decreased tooth loss
- lower risk of colon cancer
- improvement in mood and overall sense of mental well-being compared to women with lower estrogen.
- Increased HDL cholesterol
- Decreased LDL cholesterol
- Better blood clotting (under some conditions)
- Estrogen relaxes and dilates blood vessels, increasing blood flow
- Estrogen helps mop up free radicals.
Can Hormone Levels Be Restored?
- The short answer is, yes. Hormones can be restored. at least to a degree, by medical intervention of by supplementation.
- Women can raise their sex hormones to approximate youthful levels with hormone replacement therapy.
- There are also some studies suggesting that raising NAD levels by taking NMN may restore fertility to females who have passed menopause.
- Some women have reported that herbal preparations such as the ones listed below may delay of slow menopause.
Risks and Benefits
According to the Cleveland Clinic, benefits of HRT can include:
- Increased elasticity of the blood vessels, allowing them to dilate (widen) and let the blood flow more freely throughout the body
- Improved short-term symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes and mood swings, as well as vaginal dryness, dry skin, sleeplessness and irritable bladder symptoms
- Decreased risk of osteoporosis and fractures (broken bones)
- Decreased incidence of colon cancer
- Possible decreased incidence of Alzheimer’s disease
- Possible improvement of glucose level
Are Herbal Approaches Effective?
The evidence for herbs is largely anecdotal. Two popular herbal items available on Amazon are: