by Nils Osmar. September 10, 2022. Medical Disclaimer
Many supplements have anti-aging effects. But anti-aging does not always equate with life extension. The ones below have been shown to significantly extend both median and maximum lifespan in lab animals.
There is, of course, no way yet to know, or test, whether they do the same in humans. I’m gambling that they do, and taking all of them along with eating a high nutrient diet, fasting and exercising.
- GlyNAC (GLYCINE PLUS NAC). 1/2 glycine + 1/2 N Acetyl Cysteine. Raises glutathione in both mice and humans. Increases maximum lifespan by 24% in mice. (I take glycine from NOW foods along with NAC from LifeExtension and Jarrow. I’ve noticed two effects since adding them to my regimen: better sleep most nights, and waking up feeling more refreshed and energized.) See study
- ALPHA KETOGLUTATE. Has been tested for life extension in the CaAKG form. (Also available as AAKG and OAKG). In the CaAKG form, it was found to compress morbidity, delaying the aging process till near the very end of life, and extend maximum lifespan in females; extends median lifespan in males. (I take AAKG from Amazing Formulas and Ca-AKG from DoNotAge. One key thing I’ve noticed is more energy for working out.) See study
- SIRTUIN 6 ACTIVATORS. The activation of the sirtuin 6 gene has been found to extend healthy lifespan in both sexes (in mice). Two primary ways to activate it are to take fucoidan (found in some brown seaweed) and cyanidin. (found in some dark berries). “SIRT6 overexpression in C57BL mice led to a 27% and 15% extension in median lifespan, in males and females, respectively (p = 7.1 × 10−6 and 1.1 × 10−6). Likewise, in comparison to their WT littermates, SIRT6 over-expression induced a 11% and 15% extension in maximal lifespan in males and females, respectively”. Note that it’s NAD+ dependent. For this reason, I take it with NMN, which raises NAD+. I take SIRT6 Activator and NMN powder from DoNotAge, and black elderberry from Gaia Herbs) DoNotAge’s SIRT6 Activator is the only fucoidan product which is tested (in Dr. Vera Gorbunova’s lab) to verify that it is activating the sirtuin 6 gene.) (I use the discount code PATHWAYS for a 10% discount on DoNotAge’s products). See study
- RAPAMYCIN PLUS METFORMIN Many people in the anti-aging community are taking rapamycin in the hopes of life extendion. But taken together, these two compounds have been found to extend lifespan more than rapamycin alone.. (They are not supplements actually; in the U.S., available only by prescription.) See study
Caveats and cautions
- Remember to research the possible side effects of supplements before taking them. No supplement is right for everyone.
- In posting this article, I’m not trying to convince anyone to take any supplements, just sharing some information from recent studies. I’m taking most of the above. Time will tell if they’re beneficial. I have no way of knowing which supplements, if any, are right for you.
- This post is not intended as, and should not be taken as, medical advice.
Want to support this website?
If you like the content of this website, you can support it in two ways:
- Donating through my Buymeacoffee account: buymeacoffee.com/nilsosmar
- Buying anti-aging supplements and products from DoNotAge.org using the discount code PATHWAYS. (DoNotAge is my channel’s sponsor; when you use the discount code, you’ll be buying high quality supplements developed to support healthy aging and life extension, and the channel will receive a small payment, enough to keep us going)